Don’t you just love beetroot! It used to be one of those foods I steered clear of. I think as a kid there is something about it that isn’t what you expect and I used to avoid it as much as possible. Convinced I didn’t like it. Then a few years back I tried some again and couldn’t believe it had been something I had been avoiding. It is delicious and the vibrant purply red is such a treat for the eyes in any dish. I love adding it to salads, slowly roasting in a root vegetable mix and baking as beetroot crisps. Well those were my favourite uses for it before this weekend. Because this weekend I discovered Beetroot Burgers! Thanks to Green Kitchen Stories I was inspired to try something different – a Healthy version of a burger and this seem to fit the bill perfectly.
Now before you stop reading and think I am ridiculous. Stop wait and listen. This might look like just a healthy burger alternative that you would never try unless you happened to be forced into be a vegetarian or were on a diet. But before you miss out on a great flavour experience due to vegetable prejudice. Listen. This passed the double boy test. Meaning I tried it out on two different boys who are used to double beef burgers with the works – and guess what they both liked them. Actually scratch that really enjoyed them, it was along the lines of ‘ lucy, that was class, when are you making them again?’
I thought that might get your attention!
Well now you are hanging on my every word. I am not going to waste that sort of attention – time to get to the recipe.
Bare in mind you can choose to add whatever accompaniments you choose to this burger but I guarantee you won’t go wrong with this combo: Lettuce, Ketchup, slow cooked Red Onions and sliced Avocado, served in a Multi Seed Wholewheat Bun. It is truly delectable.
Right so let’s get on with the recipe.
Serves 4/ Makes 4 burgers
2 Large Raw Beetroot
½ Red Onion
1 clove Garlic
75g Porridge Oats
1 tsp Oregano
Salt and Pepper to Taste
200g Feta Cheese
1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Peel your Beetroot, Onion and Garlic and cut into large chunks, Grate these either in a food processor with grater attachment or with a hand grater
- Place this mix in a bowl, add the Olive Oil, Oats and Egg and mix together
- Next crumble in the Feta Cheese and add the Oregano, stir until everything is combine. Then season with Salt and Pepper
- Cover with a tea towel and leave on the side for about 30mins to allow the juices to soak into the Oats
- Next shape into patties and then place on the grill, or in a frying pan, – They take about 10mins to cook ( advice on cooking: they will go brown on either side but you need to make sure they cook through to avoid Beetroot Burger overspill!)
- Next serve as suggested above or go crazy and make up your favourite burger combo
Finally chow down and realise with great delight that I wasn’t lying. Beetroot burgers are great.
I told you the beets would steal your heart.