Today I fancied both something fresh, warming and above all healthy. Not always an easy combination, warming and healthy yes – you make soup, fresh and healthy – you make some sort of light veg dish. However the three combined always seems to throw me into somewhat of a muddle.
Nevertheless today I think I might have cracked it. Warm salad!
Revolutionary! ( well not really – but for me it was quite exciting as it’s something a rarely make)
And do you want to hear the even better news, it’s so simple, involves minimal cooking and was made entirely out of things I already had in my fridge/cupboards. It’s the A star of all simple suppers.
I know you are now keen to get your salad on so I wont stop you any longer. Here is the recipe.
Warm Winter Salad
4 carrots peeled
1tsp fennel seeds crushed
Mixed salad leaves ½ cup bulgar wheat
1/3 cucumber chopped into chunks
3 spring onions finely sliced
handful of hazelnuts crushed
for the dressing
2 tbsp walnut oil
squeeze of honey
2 tsp red wine vinegar
juice of ½ orange
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200C
- Cut your carrots into thick batons place them in a oven proof dish and pour on honey, olive oil and fennel seeds. Mix until they are fully coated
- Place in the oven and leave to roast for 40mins
- In the meantime place your bulgar wheat in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Leave for 15mins and then drain.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing and mix together
- Once the carrots are done combine all of the different elements adding in salad leaves, cucumber and spring onions. Then sprinkle over the hazelnuts and add the dressing.
A simple warming yet fresh salad in 6 steps. Well thats lunch sorted 🙂