I am not sure when it officially becomes autumn, but for me it’s the change from craving light refreshing suppers to yearning for warming stews and rich flavoured delights. That has certainly been the case this week.
The rain has been falling, it has been freezing outside and all I really fancy doing is cuddling up on the sofa with a cup of tea and warm toast. Unfortunately that is not a sustainable diet, so other options must be found to help sooth our souls as the wind picks up and the evenings grow dark.
This week I decided to turn a classic summer dish, risotto, into a warming autumn treat.
Really simple to make, delicious and warming. I really recommend it if you stuck for ideas for supper this week.
Kale and Sausage Risotto
300g Kale ( about ½ a bag)
Enough Risotto rice for 4
2 Garlic cloves
1 litre Stock
1 tin of Tomatoes
300ml Red Wine
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut the sausages in half lengthways, remove skins and brown in a pan skin side down, after about 8-10 mins turn them over to brown on the other side
- Once browned remove from pan break up and leave to one side
- Slowly heat your stock in a pan
- Heat a pan and add a knob of butter, add the onions ( chopped) Garlic (chopped) and Chilli (chopped) and leave to soften
- Then add the rice, mix around until all the rice is covered in butter
- Add the wine and boil rapidly to reduce
- Add tomatoes and parsley and a dash of stock
- Leave this to boil down, then add another spoonful of stock, keep doing this for about 10 – 15 mins
- Next add the kale and the rest of the stock and continue to simmer for another 10 mins
- Season with salt and pepper and add a grating of parmesan ( if you want to be really naughty you can also stir in another knob of butter which will add an extra richness – let your consciousness be your guide)
And that’s it, Simple, delicious and most off all comforting which on a cold and dark weekday night is my dream supper.