As I said in my previous posts the focus of my last few culinary outings have been preparing snacks for a post work out refuelling. I am also lucky enough to be off on holiday next week and wanted to find something that would be a great and healthy snack to keep me going on the plane journey. Whenever I am on an overnight flight I always find myself getting the midnight munchies. Usually because I am either a) bored or b) I turned my nose up at lunch/ dinner and actually want to eat something. The helpful air stewards usually have some goodies in the back – biscuits, chocolate bars, crisps etc. All the stuff that tastes great at midnight but actual does nothing for your body and when you are on long haul flight, your body is getting a bit of a beating anyway. So, in fly your answer, in the form of Mango and Cashew bites, not only will these tropical tasting beauties prep you for sunshine, they are a sweet and delicious treat filled with goodness, and as always they are simple to make and easy to eat!
So the next time you want a sweet snack, don’t look to the biscuit tin look to the Mango Cashew bite!
100g Dried Mango
100g Cashew Nuts
60g unsweetend Dessicated Coconut
1tsp Vanilla Extract
Zest of 1 Lime
Pinch of Salt
- Firstly pour your cashews into a bowl, cover with water and leave to soak for 4 hours
- About 30mins before the 4 hours are up add your dried mango
- Drain your cashews and mango, add to a food processor with the vanilla extract, 50g of the coconut and the lime zest
- Pulse until everything is combined and you get a sticky dough
- Remove the dough from the processor and roll into balls (just a bit bigger than a chocolate truffle) then roll in the remaining desiccated coconut and leave to set in the fridge for an hour
These satisfying treats last in the fridge for about 2 weeks and make a great after workout snack, travel treat or excellent late night munchie option.
I hope your day is filled with sunshine. If not try brightening it up with one of these!