A few weeks ago when I made the summer ratatouille salad, I thought I had found the perfect use for courgette and aubergine, I thought that would be it. Salad made, all I needed to do now was repeat over and over again.
However it turns out Summer Ratatouille whilst mouthwatering delicious is just one option. Just like life the salad world threw me a curve ball when it came up with an Aubergine, Courgette and Mint concoction. Truth be told I knew this existed already, in fact this salad came about based on a delicious meal I had on my last day in Cordoba. After a holiday of basically fried foods it came as a welcome and delicious change. That evening I raved about the salad. We came back from holiday, I kind of forgot about it and moved on to ‘exciting’ ideas for dinner/ the blog etc. etc.
Then on Sunday evening like a bolt out the blue Monsieur From Scratch arrives home with Aubergine and Courgette and suggests we have a go at recreating the beauty. Needless to say the challenge was accepted and the salad world would never be the same again.
In short, this is good. Very good. Simple to make – as always, yummy – as most of the time, and well different.
Want to hear the bonus part – it lasted two sittings! Yes, it was the absolute dream food, the one you cook and eat for dinner and then finish off the next day lunch. Dream!
I can feel like your itching to get started so here’s the recipe. Happy Cooking!
Handful of Mint
2 Cloves Garlic chopped
2 Tbsp Cous Cous
3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste
Handful of Raisins
- Slice your courgette and aubergine into thin rounds
- Brush one side with oil and fry in a griddle pan ( 2 notes: One: you can use an ordinary frying pan if you don’t have a griddle pan. Two: You will need to do this in stages)
- Fry until they are completely cooked. In the meantime mix a generous glug of olive oil with the chopped garlic cloves and red wine vinegar
- When your aubergine/courgette is cooked dip in the olive oil mixture and place on a large plate
- Once all the veg is cooked cover in cling film and leave to chill
- Boil the kettle and soak your cous cous and raisins together until plump and soft
- Once your veg is suitably chilled mix vegetables, rocket and cous cous mix in a bowl, add your handful of chopped mint and season with salt and pepper
- Then sit down and marvel at the joys of summer vegetables